Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What I'm Reading

I'm breaking my radio silence to advise everyone to go to the library and pick up the March/April 2011 issue of Foreign Affairs. (I would, of course, tell you to buy it and therefore support the publishers, but I don't think this is on sale anywhere anymore.)

I've been getting a lot of reading done in the last two weeks, and I realize that not telling people is one of the most hostile things I can do in our digitally connected world. I'll spare you the Agatha Christie titles (although, if you haven't already read The Hollow, you don't know what you're missing), but everyone should read:

China's Search for a Grand Strategy
Currency Wars, Then and Now (boy, do I want to get this guy's book now)
and The Tea Party and American Foreign Policy (this is some good stuff)

I don't agree with everything I've read so far (for example, I'd like less tension with China, but as someone with Korean ancestry I can't in good conscience advocate throwing Taiwan under the bus the way Korea was at the beginning of the 20th century). However, so far I really like what I've read and enjoy cuddling up with this issue as much as I do a certain arrogant Belgian detective.

Deb in the City

No comments: